Saturday, July 28, 2012

Work Like an Olympian

“Work diligently. Work hard. Focus. Perform as if you are at the Olympics. One day, unexpectedly, it will start paying off.”  -Joan Marques


In dance class today, one of my teachers shared her experience when she was still taking to classes. She grew up only taking ballet, but at the beginning of her sophomore year of high school she joined a competitive company. There she was exposed to new styles of dance. At first, she was reluctant to give up her strict ballet training and embrace different techniques. Once she did, though, she realized that there was so much more to dancing than just plies, tendues, and pirouettes. 


As the new school year dawns, I strive to learn as much as I can. I want to improve my technique in different styles of dance that I'm not as familiar with. To do so, I must work hard at every practice and perform every time I dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment