Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dazzle and Stretch

"I like shiny. It makes the world go round." -My Mom

Ahhh, the smell of half a dozen cans of hairspray, makeup, and straightening irons. The frenzy of dress rehearsal. There's no time to worry about such miniscule things as eating. There's only ten minutes to get pink tights, a leotard, the swishy white, and all around perfect tutu, and pointe shoes on. Hair must be pulled back into a perfect bun and all fly-aways must be sprayed, pinned, and clipped into place. Who could think of eating at a time like this? All anyone cares about is making it onstage on time and whether or not there is lipstick on their teeth. A quick gulp of water backstage before the big entrance. Return to the dressing room to prepare for the next number. Everyone's feet are aching more than humanly possible. Glitter and sweat stain everything. And I do mean EVERYTHING. By the time rehearsal is over, all anyone wants is a shower and something to drink. How on earth can one find beauty and solace and happiness in such a miserable thing as this? Honestly, I don't know, but I do know that I can't live without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment